Skip to main content

7 Ways I Increased my Savings Account This Year

As the saying goes, the best time to plant a tree was 30 years ago. The next best time, is right now.

With all the questions you may have around saving and investing it can make it hard to actually get started. But the best thing you can do for yourself and your family is just begin! Start learning, begin acting on the information you find, assessing the outcomes, and implementing changes to best suit your needs.


Heading into 2016 I knew that I needed to start boosting my savings account substantially as it was slipping below the minimum threshold that serves as a psychological comfort zone. The previous year, I had to purchase a new vehicle which depleted a significant portion of my savings. Compound that with irresponsibly managing my monthly cash flows two years before and I was approaching a slippery slope. With only 3 months of savings in my emergency account I decided to make some immediate changes for the year ahead.

Below are some of the methods that I used to rebuild my savings over the course of 2016 to just over five month’s worth of living expenses.

Ultimately, there is nothing novel about what I did. In fact, the actions are all simple but effective methods that you too can use to grow your savings.

Reduce Cable/Internet Costs

Take a look at any recurring monthly costs and see if you can cut or eliminate any of them. For me, my biggest recurring expense is my cable and internet bill. First, try to switch providers in order to get a one year teaser rate. For me, this was not an option so I restructured my existing plan to be more affordable without giving up much in channel selection and actually gaining internet speed.

Cutting this bill reduced my monthly costs by around $40 which amounts to near $480 in savings this year.


Change Car Insurance

Car insurance can be another costly monthly or semi-annual expense. You must remember the US is a free market economy and you can choose who you pay for your insurance. That said, shop around and see what the competitors of your current provider are charging for a comparable plan.

For me, I was able to save 16% this year on my car insurance which added almost another $100 to my annual savings.

Reduce or Change Your Phone Coverage

As with the cable and internet costs, shop around and see if competitors can provide a better price for your plan. In my case, I stayed with my existing provider and saved around $31 a month.

This added another $372 to my savings for 2016.

Eliminate Duplicate or Unnecessary costs

Check your financial statements and see what recurring monthly costs can be eliminated. For example, I changed the terms of my checking account and eliminated an annoying $2 monthly fee or $24 annually. Obviously, this is not a terribly meaningful amount of money saved over the course of the year but every little bit helps. You may find there are other costs that can be cut from your accounts which could amount to an additional $100 or more in annual savings.

Also, think about any subscription services you may have used in the past but do not any longer, then eliminate them. For example, I was using a car and travel service membership program that my new insurance provider already included in the costs for much less. So, I canceled that membership and added another $75 to my savings account.


Use Coupons and Discounts 

If there is only one reason to still check your “snail mail,” it’s to find coupons. Personally, I prefer to have them sent to me rather than actively looking for them online. However, there are good resources like RedPlum where you can sign up for discounts. Using coupons can amount to several hundred dollars in savings a year if your spending needs are that high.

Additionally, if you know you need to buy an expensive item for the home, wardrobe, or elsewhere make sure you shop around for deals. Do comparison price shopping and ask different venders if they will match a competitor’s price. I have found that limited-time discounts on big ticket items work well for me.


Save Your Tax Refund and Refinance Your Home Mortgage

If you are eligible for a Federal tax refund, do yourself a favor and put the majority of the money in your savings account. This is simply the fastest way to meaningfully boost your account value. For me, this provided a significant increase and accounted for around 33% of my savings growth in 2016.

Also, if you are a homeowner plan to refinance your mortgage before interest rates begin moving up over the next few years. Consider refinancing your 30 year mortgage to a 15 year term with a lower interest rate. In doing so you can lower your monthly payment, thereby increasing the amount of cash you have left over each month to save.


Set a Goal to Only Buy Essential Items

This may be the most challenging of all the tips I have to share with you because it requires a large amount of discipline. That is, you need to exhibit a high degree of will power in order to withhold from buying nonessential items. For example, the clothes you, and I ;), really want!

However, it is important that you give yourself the opportunity to enjoy small, routine rewards like your favorite coffee or a meal at your favorite restaurant. Otherwise, starving and depriving yourself will cause you to end up on a financial binge later on and you will be no farther ahead on your path toward your savings goal, or possibly even behind!


In total, from the tips above I grew my savings account by 60% this year!  Again, I added another two months living expenses to the account and created some psychological comfort.

Start using some of your down time this weekend or around the holidays to look at your bills and find ways that you can reduce your own costs. Think of the steps you need to take today in order to chip away at reaching your financial goals by a specified time. Remember, small accomplishments add up to big accomplishments.

Then, review your savings goal regularly. Envision yourself having that number you want in your account and make it your reality.

Feel free to let me know how it goes and if you have any other suggestions.


As always, if you have questions or comments, feel free to send me a message. Thanks for reading.


John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Budgeting Tips from Jim Rohn

For those unfamiliar, the late Jim Rohn was one of leading minds in the business coaching and personal development field. His work covers topics such as business strategy, time management, goal attainment, and personal finance. Rohn’s book “7 Strategies for Wealth and Happiness” contains a plethora of useful, applicable tactics that can dramatically improve your lifestyle through creating paradigm shifts in mindset and actions. He spends a portion of the book discussing an outline for managing a budget.  Specifically, Rohn calls it his 70/30 Rule. The premise is simple to follow and easy to implement. First, you start with your after-tax net earnings each month and multiply that value by 70%. Expenses for the month should not exceed this number (i.e. 70% of net wages). Second, subtract this expense target from after-tax monthly income and you will have 30% remaining. Lastly, this 30% is to be divided evenly into thirds. Rohn advises that the first third (10% of after-tax earn

5 Things I Learned from Mom about Money

In light of Mother’s Day I thought it would be helpful to reflect and impart some of the financial wisdom my mother shared with me. These quick, simple nuggets of advice continue to prove useful as I navigate adulthood. 1. Create a budget Soon after graduating college I was able to secure an investment job in the region I wanted. However, this required that I move out of home and begin living on my own. Facing this new chapter in my life, my mother took time to write out a budget  with me detailing my cash inflows versus outflows and determined how much I could expect to have left over. She emphasized that the key was to have something left over each month to  save   or invest   while still living comfortably. Overall, I learned that a budget is nothing more than a road map that helps you maintain control of your finances. 2. Maintain a healthy savings reserve Growing up I did various jobs during my summer breaks from school. During this time my mother instilled in me

How the Wealthy Think

We all know these people. They seem to have an endless amount of money as evident in the way they live, what they own, the places they go on a whim, and by the topics of their conversations. But what are some of the distinguishing characteristics between the truly wealthy and regular people? Moreover, how can regular folks like us who aspire to attain this level of financial freedom make these aspirations a reality? Below are a few key ingredients to understanding how to acquire a mindset for wealth accumulation. First, the wealthy are owners of their assets. From my work experience in wealth management, most high net worth (HNW) investors have acquired wealth through owning a family business. For those of us not born into a family with its own enterprise, you can still think like an owner at your place of employment. As you progress through the corporate ranks your compensation package will begin to include a number of additional income opportunities. For example, corporate e